When the Barker House was built John Adams was president, “Oxford-Town” was being established!
Built in 1794 by Richard Knight as an Inn. The Barker House Bed & Breakfast is the second oldest home in New Oxford, and today continues to welcome guests from around the world.
In 1801 this became the home of George and Nancy Hersh and remained in the family for over 150 years. Learn about Confederate General John B. Gordon’s visit to this prominent home in 1863.
General John B. Gordon at the Barker House
On June 27, 1863 a Confederate brigade under the command of General John B. Gordon passed through Gettysburg on a march to Wrightsville and York.
Advancing east on the York road, they stopped for a “brief respite” in the small community of New Oxford. Gordon and his officers entered the home of George and Nancy Hersh, now the Barker House.
Mrs. Hersh refused to acknowledge General Gordon as he entered her home. She turned and went
upstairs to her bedroom leaving the servants to serve food to the officers. Here, in the drawing room
General Gordon met with his officers and staff and planned their approach to York.